The Vampire Diaries

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Vampire Diaries

A forum set up for discussion on the hit CW show The Vampire Diaries.

2 posters

The God and the Healer - RP

Canadianmummy

The God and the Healer - RP - Page 5 Empty Re: The God and the Healer - RP

Post  Canadianmummy Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:31 pm

"Of course you're awake..." I walk around her and she grabs hold of my arm, I look back thinking she has quite the nerve. "What do you want? Do you need something? It's 4am."
    PuppyWithATutu
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:39 pm

"You're unbelievable," I whisper, my tone as biting as I can make it without raising the volume. "You're glad to use me until it looks like you might be breaking your parents' precious rules. You say I'm pathetic? You can't be a fucking man and follow your own path. Daddy says you can't touch the Healer, so you run and stick it in some bitch? Went off to lick your wounds because you can't face your own emotions?"

I walk by him, arms crossed, teeth clenched. "Fuck you, Lochlan."
    Canadianmummy

Post  Canadianmummy Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:52 pm

"I don't have to face my emotions! You are not supposed to be anything more than an assignment. You started it, inviting me to meet your family. Who even knows what will happen now...."

I stop in front of her and look at her, "I proved a point, we are different. You know that as well, we are physically attracted to each other, that is it. This is my home, I am the next general when my father dies, I have obligations. I have known you for two weeks, I am not throwing away my future for something I would have to fight for my entire life, no one will accept us."

I look at her, "Be ready to leave in a few hours...."

Nothing more, I go to my room.

------------------------------------------------------

A week had gone by, Cora and I were back on Earth. She was back in her apartment, I was always near by. One night, I went into a bar and grabbed a drink, Cora was at work for another 5 hours.

"Well, if this doesn't look familiar..." I hear a voice I know, I look behind "Oscar.." I stand up and give shake to my friend. "You left home?"

Oscar nods, sits down and looks at me "Mostly to watch this train wreck you call a protection assignment, you really are deep in this..."

I look away and sit back, drinking my beer "Minor hiccups"

Oscar nods,"Sure, hiccups being her...all over you. You like her man."

I finish my drink, look to Oscar "What's with the accent?"

"You're Irish.." he points out, I laugh, "Yes but German?"

Oscar changes to a russian one, "Better?"

I order another drink, Oscar still watching me and I look back, "If you say all of that again...I am not going to be so pleasant."

Oscar keeps quiet, knowing I am serious. I was surprised to see him but knowing all to well,"Did someone tell you to check up on me?"

Oscar looks at me offended,"No, I am your friend. I have been...watching how you're doing. I heard your brought her to our dimension, that didn't sound like you. You have to be careful."

I look away, "I know."
    PuppyWithATutu
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:38 pm

One week ago

The moment we teleport back to the hotel, I start packing. He can do his job all he wants, but that doesn't mean we have to interact. I'm going back to my apartment. He's free to fuck every two-legged bitch in New York if he wants to. We're not together, and we never will be.

I get back to my place and find my nearly-dead cell phone on the kitchen counter. Eight missed calls, more than half of them from Ryan and the rest from my father, are my only notifications. Guilt rushes through me. It's late on Earth, I have work tomorrow, and all I want to do is talk to someone. I want my brother.

I call him. The first ring isn't even finished when he picks up, and I'm already a sobbing mess. He demands to know where I've been. I debate what I can say and what I can't. Given the pure anger I'm feeling toward Lochlan and his kind right now, I decide I'm going full blast. I can't keep this inside me anymore. So, my voice thick with emotion, my face wet with tears, I plead with him through the phone. "I need you."

It takes no more than ten minutes for him to reach me. I know, because I've barely unpacked when I hear the sound of his truck barreling into the parking lot. He bursts through the door as if he's prepared to battle whatever might be inside, but the moment he sees me, the rage is gone. I let out a sob and he rushes forward to pull me into his arms.

Minutes pass before I work up the nerve to speak. He lets me decompress while he sits on the edge of my bed, his hand on my shoulder. "You swear no one hurt you? Was it Lochlan?"

I shake my head. "I'm sorry I missed your calls. I thought I could handle it, and I can't. I thought I could see what his world was like."

He's stewing in confusion, his gaze locked onto mine, imploring me to elaborate. "You've got to give me more than that, kid. His world? What does that even mean?"

I wipe at my face with the back of my hand. "It sounds fucking crazy."

He chuckles. "You could tell me the sun was blue and I'd believe it, Cora. I know you."

I turn to face him, busying myself with picking at my nails. Maybe this was a bad idea. This is too much to put on someone. But, selfishly, I need to let it out. I don't have Lochlan anymore. I never really did to begin with. "I wasn't... on Earth." I wait for him to speak, but he lets me continue. I know he believes me, although it can't be an easy thing to process. "There's another dimension. Apparently there are hundreds, if not thousands, of them. And his family..." My face twists. I'm doing all I can to hold back the sobs. "They fucking hate me, Ryan. I'm a Healer, which is apparently lower than scum to them. They're the leaders, war generals, the fucking top dogs, and I'm a 'human with a birth defect'."

Ryan shoots to his feet and pivots to look at me. "Who the fuck said that to you?"

"His mother. His father. Everyone, I'm guessing."

His hands are clasped behind his head. Information overload. "Okay, let's back it up. Who is they?" He sits back down, this time in the chair across from my bed, and scoots forward until his knees are practically touching mine. He's leaning over, his forearms on his knees, hands clasped together as his eyes find mine. "What is Lochlan?"

I chew on my lip. Why do I still feel so loyal to the man who's done nothing but shred me to pieces emotionally? I try for a cheap shot and think for a moment. "Music trivia."

Ryan curses and leans back in frustration. "I don't think a trip down nostalgia lane is what you need right now, Cora."

I sigh and close my eyes. I can't voice it, but I can give him a hint. "A hit from the late '90s by Vertical Horizon."

He's seething. "Sis, for fuck's sake-" He stops. Recognition dawns on his face. He's out of his seat again, eyes as round as saucers. "He's a fucking god?"

I knew our road trip games and mutual love for music would benefit us someday. I nod.

He considers that for a moment, then cringes. "He's not, you know, the god, right?"

I shake my head. "They're all... it's what they all are, where he's from."

My heart is hammering in my chest. I've done it. I've betrayed Lochlan. The secret is out. The feelings of elation and contrition war within me. He's going to be so pissed when he finds out.

"They say I'm a Healer, but apparently my powers are way too big to be just that. Lochlan thinks Dad isn't my real dad. I think he's full of shit. Maybe there's some freaky witch ancestry I wasn't aware of. It's something. He made me practice my powers on him, and I did it. I can break bones, I can give aneurysms, and I don't know what the fuck else. His father is the general. He commands armies, he's scary as shit, he hates my guts, and I disrespected the hell out of him when I healed this dying soldier that apparently nobody cared about and asked what the fuck was wrong with everyone." I'm rambling, but he's taking everything in as I knew he would. There's a reason I called him. "Ryan, everyone there is just a number. They fight in wars, they go home, they do it again. Nobody is a person to them. Nobody cares. There's no... compassion, no love, just... work."

Ryan has given up on trying to make sense of it all. He stares at me with a quizzical look on his face. "And what about Lochlan? Where is he now?"

I shrug. "We're done. We never were a thing to begin with. He doesn't want to face his emotions, and I don't want to be a part of his world. He's still watching me, I guess. He's just not... here."

I'm crying again. I don't mean to, and yet I can't stop it. He takes me into his arms again, and over the course of the next hour, I give him every minute detail of the last two weeks that I can remember. He swears he'll help me figure out who the hell I am. I'd rather fall asleep and forget ever having met the god who tore my world apart.

One week later

Time to get fucked up. I'm with some work acquaintances at a bar I've already forgotten the name of, pounding back shots I know I'll regret in the morning, when a familiar face catches my eye and my heart drops to my stomach.

Of course Lochlan would be here. I haven't been destroyed enough.

Last edited by PuppyWithATutu on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Canadianmummy

Post  Canadianmummy Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:44 pm

I look at her come in, "Just sit..." she eventually does, Oscar was playing pool and trying some mozzarella sticks. Oscar hurries over, "Lochlan, have you tried these? They are..it's heaven,it's true heaven and oh look who has shown up. It's the star of the night"

"Oscar, you said the longest sentence anyone has ever heard and I am not being dramatic about that." I add, Oscar scoots next to Cora,"Hello, I am Oscar...I come from the beautiful dimension who hates you and his friend."

"Friend is stretching it.." I add, "You wouldn't have gotten through camp if it wasn't for me dude.." He says, "Same goes for you.." I also say back. I look at Cora, who is so confused "He is from my dimension, plans the tactics for our battles..."

PuppyWithATutu
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:52 pm

I'm on my fourth shot by now. I'm finding it hard to care about much of anything that isn't liquor. I offer him my hand, because he seems nice enough, and he gives me a goofy smile when he returns the handshake. "Cora. Pleasure to make your acquaintance."

I give him a once-over, then spare a glance at Lochlan before turning away. "You seem nice. I wasn't aware such an anomaly was possible in your dimension. No surprise they hate you." I snort. "Woo boy, the things his mother said to me."
    Canadianmummy

Post  Canadianmummy Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:55 pm

I was also at my 4th shot, "You inspire me to drink...and what did my mother say to you?" I look at her, "Not that I wouldn't guess it wasn't anything "nice" my mother is a bitch, my father is an egotistical jackass, we get it. Sing a different tune already..." I get up and go to the washroom.

Oscar looks at Lochlan leave, looks at Cora "I came here exactly for this reason, you can be mad at him all you want but he is into you big time. He's right though, our dimension would never accept it. A lot of things could happen, he would lose everything but you are sexy as hell...he should think about it. Another tequilla please!"
    PuppyWithATutu
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:01 pm

I laugh. I like this Oscar guy. It surprises me that Lochlan would be friends with someone so jovial. I'm also still messed up over last week, though, and that thought sobers me instantly. As much as it can with four shots of Crown in me, anyway.

I motion for the bartender to bring over two more. "All due respect, Oscar, I know he wants me. I don't really care what he stands to lose with me. As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing there to miss. All I'm seeing when I look at Lochlan is a man who can't think for himself. I won't fight for anyone who lets their parents make the decisions."

Two shot glasses slide my way. I catch them, then pass one over to my new buddy. "Bottoms up," I say, and clink my glass against his.
    Canadianmummy

Post  Canadianmummy Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:06 pm

I step in next to her, indicating I heard that. I grab another beer, "I am going to think for myself and join those two lovely ladies by the pool table..., fuck you." I say to Cora, who gives me the finger and I go over to the ladies. I help them play pool, we buy more drinks and I look over to Cora but too my disappointment, she's not talking to Oscar anymore but to some guy.

Oscar is talking to his own lady of interest. Instantly I go up to Cora,"And who the fuck is this guy?" I look making sure he's not another warlock or enemy. I look at her, "Making me jealous, really, think that will work?"

PuppyWithATutu
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:18 pm

Two can play the game he's playing. The past month has had my hormones going haywire. If I can't have what I want, I can always settle for the next best thing. Or at least a nice make-out session.

His name is Mark; he has kind eyes, stubble, a little meat on his bones, and he's covered in tattoos. He meets the criteria; I've always had a thing for facial hair and ink.

I don't know what the fuck I'm doing, to be honest. I don't want to go home with this guy. Maybe I am trying to make Lochlan jealous. Who the hell am I kidding? I know I am.

I glare at Lochlan and raise my fifth shot glass in the air between us. "Appears to be working. Jackass."

With that, I grab hold of Mark's hand and lead him out onto the dance floor. One of my favorites is playing, and lucky for me, I know how to fucking dance. While Mark goes along, for some reason under the impression that I want to grind up against him, I do just that. I work my hips, I run my hands down his chest, and turn my back to him, slithering up and down his body like a sex addict who can't get close enough. His hands roam over my stomach and down my hips, and I encourage his touch, pushing my ass flush against his crotch as he moves against me.

The fire in Lochlan's eyes burns a hole through me as I dance on a man I don't ever plan on screwing.

Canadianmummy

Post  Canadianmummy Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:10 pm

I watch her dance with this guy, Oscar comes over and I am still staring at Cora. I feel his eyes on me, I look to him "I know, nothing can be done." He laughs, I stand up straighter looking at him, "Something can be done, look man, I know it's tough. It's a tough decision..."he starts to say.

"This is nothing to decide, I am only here for..." I can't finish that sentence, I have no idea how long for. "My parents are going to be pissed, I will never be allowed to go back. All for her..." I say as I look on, I notice her taking the man's hand and walking out. I look back to Oscar, "You're a good friend and I can trust you?"

Oscar nods and gives me props, I down my beer and hurry after Cora. They were nowhere in sight, I quickly use my ability and I teleport to inside her apartment living room. I sneak in, hearing she is in the washroom and the guy waits on the bed. He sees me and before he can do anything, my hand is covering his mouth.

I tell him to get out, holding him close by the neck and tighten my grip. He nods and runs for his life. I sit on her bed facing the washroom door. I see her open it and come out, I smirk.

"I think their has been enough foreplay, I don't even want to do anything else..." I pull her more to me, "Than be inside you, as corny as that sounds." She looks at me unsure, I look back, "I'm sorry...I want you."

That was all it took, I lean my head into her stomach. She holds my head and strokes my hair, I start to lift up her shirt and kiss her bare skin, all the way to her bra. I unhook it and take both nipples into my mouth, one at a time. I hear her start to moan in my ear as she unbuckles my belt, I keep my focus on her nipples.

I can't take it anymore, I push her down to the bed and take off her pants, panties. I take off my boxers. I lean in and kiss her passionately, as I rub my hand over her clit, I sit more up and I hold my cock against her, I gently slide it in at first. We both moan in pleasure, I kiss her again and break off. I continue to move in and out. I pull her up to me and able to hold her as I keep moving. We embrace and kiss more than we ever have.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I open my eyes to the sun light, I see Cora opening the curtains. I grab her back down and she laughs, we kiss as we go for round two. We finish with me standing behind her, I give her a slap on the butt and walk off to her washroom. I get cleaned up, doesn't stop her from coming into the shower for some more. "Okay woman, break...I need food and then we can keep going." I kiss her and she continues to shower while I get out.

I get dressed and head out to the living room, I hear a key from the front door and soon Ryan walks in. He sees me, I stop dead in my tracks. He comes over, laughing slightly.

"Well, she doesn't have much will power does she..." he starts to say and I try to stop him, he stops me and comes closer.
    PuppyWithATutu
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:46 pm

That was a close call. I'd danced with the man. I'd rubbed my body against his, I'd let him ram his tongue down my throat and fondle my ass, and I'd damned near given up hope until he finally showed up. While I was in the bathroom, thinking up ways to fake food poisoning, he appeared and threatened poor Mark. Good riddance. The more the alcohol wore off, the more I smelled the cigarettes and beer and regret on his skin. And he'd been unusually sweaty.

By the time the first round had finished, we were lying tangled up in a sea of purple sheets, my body still riding through the waves of orgasm long after he slipped out of me. My head lay on his chest, my heart beating like I'd run a marathon. He'd turned to me with mild curiosity in his eyes. "Did you really plan on sleeping with him?"

I'd laughed. "No, dumbass. I planned on pacing around in the bathroom until you burst through the door."

A smirk crossed his face. I was fairly certain he'd known the answer before he even had to ask.

I'm in the shower when I hear a commotion. I don't need to strain my ears to know that it's Ryan. Shit.

I rush to get dressed, my hair still soaking wet as I wrap myself in a towel and step out. Ryan is advancing on Lochlan slowly, anger in his eyes. "Ryan," I call out, but he's in a mood. He's seen enough and he's drawn the right conclusions. It's not as if I thought to stop during last night's festivities and text him that the bridge had been mended. Here Ryan is, a one-man demolition crew against a god from a warrior dimension, and I'm not liking my brother's odds.

"You have some fucking nerve to waltz back in here and use my sister again after the way you treated her," he says, his deep voice somehow evolving far past deep and entering the realm of demonic as he steps toward my squeeze. My squeeze winces, as if he begrudgingly agrees with Ryan's statement. I clear my throat. "Ryan, it's okay, we-"

A loud crack fills the small room. Faster than I could register, Ryan has punched Lochlan square in the face.

I rush forward and push my hand against Ryan's chest, easing him backward. "Okay, calm down. You got one in on him, he deserved it, it's now over."

I turn back to Lochlan. "Also, since we're airing it all out to dry, I need to be honest with you. I didn't tell you last night, because well..." My brother's here. I'm not elaborating. "Look, he knows. I told him last week after we got back." Lochlan is staring back at me, a myriad of emotions playing out on his face. Confusion, then shock, and lastly, pure anger. "Before you react, he's my brother. We can trust him. He's looking into our lineage, trying to figure out what makes me more than a healer. I'm not talking to my dad about your suspicions until I know for sure."

I take a step back from both men. "So, in summation, I apologize for the betrayal, Lochlan. Ryan, that was a great hit, but you should really be careful in the future. I appreciate what you're doing, but I'm more than capable of fighting for myself, and the man is a god. He could kill you if he wanted to."

I'm babbling, I know, but I'm trying to diffuse the situation. If the rage simmering behind Lochlan's eyes is any indication, I'm not doing a bang-up job of it.

"Anyway, who's down for lunch in the Square?"
    Canadianmummy

Post  Canadianmummy Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:57 pm

I take in everything she has just said, the punch didn't even hurt but nice punch? "First of all, nice punch? If you want to see nice punch, I can show you one on your brother and it will make him fly across the room into the next apartment..."

Ryan comes up, "Go ahead..."

Cora steps up to me and I look at her, "Why did you tell him? Why is their a secret for anything...I say it's dangerous to you and it's like I am speaking chinese!"

Ryan nods, "It's true...she always tells."

"Yes, why is that? And has it always been...you tell her dangerous, she--" before I can finish, Ryan says "She ignores it yeah, so many times she snuck out to parties."
    PuppyWithATutu
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:14 pm

Wait, when did this become a circle jerk situation? Do these two need a moment alone? I huff and cross my arms, because I'm five.

"Okay, first of all, it's a stupid secret to keep from my own family. I can't just lie and avoid things. It's like on Supernatural, when Sam and Dean are constantly lying to protect one another, and it just never ends well. Or basically in any show ever. Open communication, people."

Ryan looks back at Lochlan with a chuckle. "Here she goes. She can apply Supernatural life lessons to basically anything." He considers for a moment. "Okay, Jensen or your boy toy here? I want to know if pissing off an entire god dimension is all worth it."

I point my finger at my brother with the best fake glare I can manage. "You leave my husband out of this. Also, FYI, maybe I snuck out a lot, but I also ratted myself out the very next day, and you know why?"

Ryan has his arms crossed; humor is dancing in his eyes. It's as if he'd never stormed in here like Satan on speed and attacked my boyfriend. Or whatever the hell he is. "Because you're lame?"

"Because honesty is the best policy," I bite back, hands on my hips. "And, now, see? Everything has been discussed and we're free to discuss the important shit. Like food. I'm fucking hungry, unless you two want to paint each other's toenails and talk about boys."
    Canadianmummy

Post  Canadianmummy Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:37 pm

I look at her and pissed, feeling a little out numbered and we just finally had sex. "How about, you and your brother figure it all out and call me when you need my opinion...considering I protect you, for a living."

I leave without another word, annoyed but I'll come back. I have to come back, dimension is gone thanks to her being amazing. I'm fucked.
    PuppyWithATutu
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:35 pm

Caius
    The God and the Healer - RP - Page 5 Sterling-K.-Brown-0917-GQ-FASU01-01

I watch as Lochlan storms out, a deadpan expression on my face, because that is such a broody god thing to do. I thought we’d moved past the whole betrayal thing by now. Granted, I’d moved past it the moment I’d blabbed to Ryan a week ago and I’d only just told Lochlan, but still. A girl can only keep that shit on her shoulders for so long. He’ll come around.

I shrug it off and turn to Ryan with a hopeful smile on my face. “I’m thinking Chinese.”

He chortles and moves to open the door Lochlan just slammed. We watch together as his car peels out of the lot. “You finally learned how to use chopsticks, huh?”

“And I’m proud of my accomplishment,” I sass back, feigning offense. “I watched way too many Youtube tutorials to figure it out.”

With a sigh and a shake of his head, he leads the way toward his truck and opens the door for me to hop in. “Your god has his work cut out for him, kid. That’s all I can say.”

Before I can make a quip about my bedroom skills being worth it alone, he’s closed the door, climbed behind the wheel, and we’re heading off toward the city.

The place isn’t the most upscale, but it’s one of my favorites. Their Szechuan chicken is to die for. When we get there, a line of similar-minded people are waiting to grab a table. The building is packed. I risk a glance at my brother, and his lips are pursed, his arms crossed over his chest. I watch in amusement as his jaw muscles clench and unclench. He’s not saying anything, but he wants to.

I, however, really want my Szechuan chicken.

We wait for a short moment before Ryan’s composure finally slips. “You know, we could just get Shake Shack.”

I grin and nudge him in the side with my elbow. “But I’m super good at chopsticks now. Prepare to be amazed.”

He’s cut off before he can reply. An employee strides toward us, a plastic-looking smile on his face. “Mr. and Ms. Jefferies?”

Ryan freezes beside me. I’m shocked, myself. Slowly, cautiously, my brother steps forward, wedging himself in front of me as if the middle-aged Chinese man in the red and gold getup is suddenly a threat. “Who’s asking?” The demonic voice is back. Wow, Ryan’s intense when he’s in Marine Mode.

The man’s smile doesn’t waver in the slightest. “Your table is waiting, sir.” He stops to bow his head toward me. “Madam.”

I speak to my brother as inconspicuously as I can through clenched teeth. “They’re making robots super lifelike these days, am I right?”

Still, the man smiles and points toward the open dining area. A table waits for us in the far right corner. Better yet, a booth. I love booths. “Right this way.”

I’ve made peace with the weirdness of the situation. I can already smell the lo mein and the egg rolls. I won’t look a gift horse in the mouth. Ryan, however, is an unmoving boulder in front of me. “We didn’t make a reservation.”

More smiles. “Your meal is free this afternoon. Please, follow me.”

I’m good with that. I step forward, only to ram into Ryan’s ass. Finally, I just step around him in irritation. “Dude, I’m hungry. Come on.”

He follows along reluctantly, but keeps a tight grip on my arm. His gaze darts around the restaurant, daring anyone to try some shit. This time he’s the one doing the ventriloquist impersonation when he speaks. “Our luck, the food will be poisoned. I feel like I’ve been followed this entire week.”

I look up at him in surprise. He hadn’t mentioned it. “Good thing I’m a Healer. Lighten up, First Sergeant.”

He scopes out the exits and all of our surroundings, then sits with his back to the wall so that he can see any incoming threats. I pick up the menu just to verify what else is available before I end up ordering the same thing I always order. Ryan is too on edge to care.

I drum my fingers on the table while we wait for assistance. “So you really think you’re being followed?”

His nod is barely perceptible. “Just a feeling. Certain people looking a little too nosy. Always a different face. Call me paranoid, but I think someone doesn’t want me digging around.”

It’s like we’re famous. “Ooh, maybe it’s a Russian crime syndicate. Or the Mafia.”

Ryan’s eyes are now closed. He’s doing a little deep breathing, something he has to practice often around me. He opens his mouth to reply when he’s interrupted again. This time, by a deep and musical voice with an accent I can't entirely place.

“Or a warlock, perchance?”

Ryan is up so fast, I barely register the movement. He’s blocked me inside the booth, the bulk of his body shielding me from whoever stands before him. He’s the human and I’m the Healer with superpowers, but okay.

“Who the hell are you?” Ryan demands, every muscle tensed for a fight.

Finally, after much straining to the side and over the back of my booth, I see the man Ryan’s addressing. Whoever he is, he looks suave as hell in a well-tailored, checkered suit. He looks like he’s ready to walk the red carpet, and here I am in a ripped Tool t-shirt I had in high school and a pair of leggings. He seems friendly enough; he’s smiling, his teeth blindingly white against his dark skin, and this smile is genuine.

“First Sergeant Jefferies, what an absolute delight to finally meet you in the flesh.” His voice is so old-timey and pleasant, I want him to read me a bedtime story and redo my voicemail recording. He offers Ryan his hand. “I am Caius. I hope I’ve not disturbed you too terribly this past week?”

Ryan tenses while I choke on my spit. “Disturbed me a little, what with you and your people following me,” Ryan replies, the ice in his tone unmistakable.

Caius’ smile turns understanding. He nods. “I am most assuredly not a threat to you and your sister, Mr. Jefferies. After all, she is partly my daughter.”

I choke again. I’m wheezing. Water. I need water.

A waitress appears at once with a tray of drinks in her hand. She sets them on our table and disappears again. Two of them are waters, and the third is a large, foaming mug of beer. This establishment doesn’t even serve alcohol.

“Your favorite beer,” Caius says to Ryan, motioning for him to take a seat. “I hope that’s all right with you.”

Ryan is still trying to comprehend what the warlock said. I take a water and chug it down to get the pipes working right again. Caius turns his gaze to me and his eyes glimmer with something akin to wonder. “I do apologize for rushing to such a statement, my child. I can’t imagine it’s an easy thing to swallow.”

Yeah, no shit. I cough again and extend my hand. “Obviously introductions are a little redundant by now, but hello.”

The pure happiness on his face brightens even more when he slides into the booth and takes my hand into both of his, holding it like he’s waited decades for the opportunity. Ryan sits beside him, still wary, but secure in the idea that at least our new friend is now trapped. I weirdly trust the guy, though. His spirit is almost contagious. But then I remember what he said.

“Okay, so, warlock? And also, my mom cheated on my dad with you?” I take in his skin tone, and then mine. My cheeks turn red.

Ryan’s adding on before Caius can answer. “And not to be indelicate, but-”

“You’re black,” I blurt out.

Ryan sighs beside me. “Yeah. That.”

The warlock simply laughs, not affronted in the slightest. “I take no offense, believe me. And your mother would never do such a thing to your father.”

I look across the booth at my brother. Now both our hackles are raised. “What the hell did you do?” Ryan growls.

“Allow me to explain,” Caius says, raising both hands as a gesture of peace. “I am far from a predator. I’m the oldest warlock in existence; I was assigned to do a job, and I did it far better than expected.” He pauses and checks his watch. “This is quite a long story, I’m afraid.”

Ryan’s fists are clenched on top of the table. “We’re not going anywhere.”

The warlock nods. He already knew that. “Of course.” He turns back to me then. “Are you aware of the prophecies, dear Cora?”

Prophecies? I’m still stuck on this guy being my dad. I have a dad. A great one. And I don’t like seeing him as anything else. “My mom talked about some stuff, but she was insane. We learned to tune her out. Eventually, she split altogether.”

He nods again. “It was prophesied, many ages ago, that your mother would fall in love with a god and give birth to, say, a demigod of sorts. With your mother set to pass on the Healer gene to her only daughter as foretold, many dimensions feared that such an offspring would be far too powerful, far too risky, and so they sought to change the prophecy by sending your father.”

I swallow hard. “Wait, what? They sent my father? This is news to me. And my father. He’d have told me.”

Caius chuckles. “In saying that, I meant that they started a chain of events that led to the meeting of your parents. It all culminated when a fire started in your mother’s-”

“Sorority,” Ryan finishes, awe in his eyes. “Our father was called to put it out. That’s how they met.”

The warlock beams. “Yes, and what a lovely pair they made. Your father was a human, and so the crisis was then averted. However, prophecies cannot be changed, only delayed. Beings from the Dark Dimension –such nasty creatures, those- decided to send a god of their own when the time had come for your conception. They wanted nothing more than to impregnate your mother, to have a Healer demigod at their disposal. Imagine the power to create such horrendous destruction, and also to heal. You would be perfect for their armies.”

I’m trying so hard to work past the hunger and process this. “Okay, so there’s a Dark Dimension and a, what? A Light Dimension?”

The warlock considers this. “In a manner of speaking, yes. Your beau comes from this dimension, himself.”

Ryan decides to join the conversation. He hasn’t even touched his beer. “Lochlan? His people changed the prophecy?”

Caius nods. “Indeed, they did. They knew they couldn’t allow such an abomination. Thus, they sent me. I’m a manipulator of sorts. Of certain destinies, traits, thoughts, appearances.” He pauses. “Weather.”

I clear my throat and speak again. “Okay, so you made me?” The sadness is creeping in. I don’t want it to be true. “My dad’s not my real dad?”

The warlock shakes his head, humor in his eyes. “Oh, my dear, no. Of course he is. I used him simply as a vehicle, per se. A vessel through whom I could transfer my power, before the Dark god could reach your mother first. In a word, I marked you so that you’d never be sullied by such darkness, such remarkably dangerous power.”

Holy shit. This entire day doesn’t even seem real. It started with the best sex of my life, and it’s ending with this. I have to be dreaming. “But I do have powers. They can be dangerous, too.”

“Yes, of course, but have you ever used them in a situation for which they weren’t warranted?”

I think back. Nope, it was all pretty warranted. I shake my head in confirmation.

“It is because, sweet child, I was there during your conception.”

Ryan leans back in the booth, his eyes squeezed shut. “Oh, Jesus.”

Caius continues, undeterred. “I assure you, voyeurism was not my intent. I was sent because the gods were aware of my ability to appear as whomever I wish. They assumed I would mate with your mother in the form of your father. I, however, draw the line at sexual assault.”

Good Guy Caius. Also, what the fuck? Were Lochlan’s people that twisted?

“Jesus fucking Christ.” Ryan, again.

“I would have to agree with your sentiment,” Caius says, nodding toward my brother. “So, I was there in somewhat of a hidden capacity. I focused all my energy into making you everything the Dark gods would never be. To combat the darkness, I blessed you with light. I gave you not only the power to heal, but the power to protect. I gave you a heightened sense of honesty and morality, of compassion and heart, of endless love for all of humankind. Because with your compassion comes suffering, I gave you humor to bring levity to the worst of your days, and I instilled a fierce fire within you, because you needed to be brave and unapologetic in spite of your kind nature. Of course, your parents are also wondrous humans, as well. I simply cannot assign myself the credit entirely.”

Yep, today is officially the weirdest. Ryan pipes up first. “Honesty, huh? Is that why she can’t lie for shit?”

I scowl while Caius laughs. “It does pain her to hide the truth, much as I wish it would for the rest of humanity. Healers must be trustworthy if they hope to bring real change. Their moral codes are inherently strong.”

I’m impressed. “That explains a lot.”

He smiles. “My dear Cora, you have exceeded my every expectation. I’m so overjoyed. I watched you periodically throughout your upbringing. Your father stood as an upstanding example to you and your brothers.” He turns and faces my brother. “And Ryan, my pride knows no bounds. You and Lucas have done a marvelous job protecting your sister. You, being the eldest, really stepped up in your mother’s absence. You helped raise her, and now you’re a highly decorated soldier.” His smile turns sad. “The things you have witnessed, yet you remain so resilient through it all.”

Ryan pales. For the first time since I’ve known him, he looks vulnerable. Exposed. I’d never asked what he’d seen in combat. He’d have never told me, anyway. I reach across the table and grab hold of his hand. There’s nothing to say to that.

“My apologies,” Caius says, and I can tell he means it. He sincerely seems to care about us.

Ryan nods, and the faraway look in his eyes is gone, replaced with determination. “It’s fine. This isn’t about me. We want to know more about my sister. More about why you gave her so much power in the first place if the gods sent you to prevent it.”

Caius stops for a moment and clasps his hands together, sitting up straighter in his seat. “To be absolutely honest, I went a little overboard. The gods do not own me, nor do they frighten me; I was there as a favor because I, too, did not want the Dark dimensions to have such a being available to them. But I also knew that she would need her power, going forth. I simply instilled in her the decency to know when such strengths would be necessary and when they would not.”

He regards me with a grin. “And what a heart you have. I saw you at every protest you could sneak out to attend. The gay prides, the gun control rallies, the women’s marches and the counter protests against hate groups. I see how deeply you weep in the wake of a national tragedy. I see you every day, battling hate with love.”

He obviously gave me all the good, fun-loving hippie stuff. Noted. “So I guess I have you to thank for being maced by skinheads?”

It’s not really in jest, as it really happened, but Ryan’s eyes nearly pop out of their sockets. “What?!”

I laugh and then shrug. “It’s okay, we had milk. And, of course, I’m a Healer.”

Caius beams at me. “Simply spectacular, you are.” He glances around, and as if they’d been on standby, two waiters emerge with trays of food. One such tray carries my beloved Szechuan, noodles, and egg rolls, while the other has a plate of sweet and sour pork. Ryan looks like he’s not sure whether to run or to praise our new buddy. “That was… I was going to order the pork.”

Caius’ smirk is knowing. “Pardon me. I must confess, I can also read minds.”

The chopsticks I’d been holding clatter to the table. “Holy shit. Can I do that?”

I deflate when he shakes his head. “No, my dear, but I can promise you that it is a power you would never want to have.” He pats Ryan on the shoulder. “I would also advise you to call Sophia. She’s unhappy in her marriage and still very much in love with you.”

Ryan’s cheeks redden. He has a dumb, love-struck look on his face. That was enough to brighten his spirits, apparently. Also, sweet. I always liked Sophia. They broke it off shortly before he was first deployed. Didn’t think the distance would work.

As we eat, I check my phone for any messages from Lochlan. Nothing, yet.

Caius notices and sets down his own chopsticks. “Your beau is angry with you.”

I nod. This mind reading thing is simultaneously useful and embarrassing. What if I’d been thinking about the all-nighter of hot, sweaty, near-violent sex we’d had? Great, now I’m thinking about it.

The warlock coughs into his fist, his eyes on the table. “Sorry,” I murmur.

Suddenly he snaps his fingers, and before Ryan nor I are prepared, Lochlan appears in the booth beside me, almost as if he’d been dropped from above. He looks around in shock, and then anger, his eyes landing on Caius.

The warlock smirks. “It’s so nice of you to join us, My Liege. You must be famished.”

Last edited by PuppyWithATutu on Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Canadianmummy

Post  Canadianmummy Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:27 am

I of course was listening this whole time, as great as Ryan is he's not a God. When I was summoned, by a warlock, a warlock my parents sent?

I look to the warlock, "You think this is hilarious? My parents knew? We need a book to keep up with all these facts." Ryan nods to that, I haven't really looked at Cora yet.

"My parents know, Cora has this dangerous magic...I know, I experienced it. If my parents knew, her ability could hurt a God the way it did..." I start to warn.
    PuppyWithATutu
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:43 am

The warlock gives Lochlan a doleful shake of his head. “My apologies, My Liege, but your parents not only knew. Your father was the one who sent me. I simply fail to comprehend why he wouldn't share this with you.”

Lochlan’s day is just getting worse and worse. I cringe and look over to the god beside me, wishing I knew what to say to help the situation. I’ve got nothing. Instead, I move my hand underneath the table and let it rest on his thigh.

Caius continues, a grave expression on his face. “My Liege, I arrived here today to not just explain, but to deliver a warning of sorts.” His gaze shifts to me. “As I have stated, the prophecies cannot be changed, only diverted and delayed for a short time. It was destiny that you two met one another. And you, dear Cora, the powerful Healer, are set to carry on this prophecy with your god. It is simply something that, unfortunately under this regime, mustn’t happen.”

My heart stops in my chest. My hand shoots to my stomach. No wonder no one wanted us together. “You’re saying... our child would be evil?”

Caius stares at me quizzically. “Goodness, I should hope not. I formed you with light, and your beau, himself, comes from such a dimension. However, it is a risky venture, both in the child’s future and your own. Many would stop at  nothing to terminate you before your child could even be conceived, and yet there are others who’d like nothing more than to take said child for their own means.”

I feel all sorts of helpless. I’d never even wanted a kid, but I’d always wanted the possibility of having one. It feels like that’s been ripped from me, because even though I’ve just met Lochlan, I don’t want to entertain the idea of being with anyone else. He and I are like magnets, endlessly being pulled toward one another despite our circumstances. “Like the Dark ones.”

The warlock nods. “Yes, dear. Your child would have more power than the both of you combined. Multiplied, even.”

I start tapping my fingers on the table again, this time because my nerves are running wild. I need a beer. Before I can voice the thought, the warlock has sent out a waiter with two mugs filled to the brim, without ever needing to utter a word.

I take a drink and pass the other to Lochlan, my mind working a mile a minute. "I still don't understand, Caius. If I was going to be this much trouble, why not just kill me, or kill my mother before I had a chance to be made? Why bother sending you?"

"It's a fine question, one with many answers," he says. "First, prophecies will always find a way. Second, Marit had that same sentiment, but Thaddeus forbade it. It's a golden rule in the Light dimensions, for they were the ones who created the Healer lineage. Healing is too great a gift to snuff out. The General may seem insufferably capricious, but he respects the rules of his land."

I grit my teeth. I knew Lochlan's mom was a bitch, but this seals it. I don't want to know what's brewing in my god's mind right now. I give his leg a squeeze.
    Canadianmummy

Post  Canadianmummy Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:27 am

I simply stare at this warlock and everything he's told us. A prophecy..."I think before I believe another word out of your mouth, I choose to not believe it. Rule number 1 Cora, don't believe a thing...a warlock says. Let's go." I stand up.
    PuppyWithATutu
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:02 am

Maybe Lochlan is in denial about the seriousness of the situation, but I believe every word of what the warlock told us. I'm not about to leave without knowing everything I can. "Lochlan, wait," I say, grabbing onto his hand to keep him in place. "Look, you can't say it doesn't make sense."

I'm still seated, imploring him to stay, because it feels as if, for the first time in twenty-seven years, I'm finally getting some answers about what I am. My mother wasn't crazy; she was practically a prophet. Guilt tightens its grip around my heart while I do the same with Lochlan's hand.

Seemingly ambivalent toward Lochlan's outburst, Caius instead touches Ryan's shoulder. In an instant, I'm no longer seeing Ryan in the flesh. It's as if he's between worlds, hazy and ethereal in appearance. "I apologize, Mr. Jefferies, but our guest mustn't know of your involvement," the warlock says, and in the next second, another entity materializes at the head of the table, his arms crossed in annoyance.

It's Thaddeus. He glowers at every person at the table except for Ryan. I realize, then, that Ryan has been hidden. He is able to observe without being seen. I try to avoid looking at my brother; the last thing I need to do is draw attention to the now empty space beside Caius.

"Warlock," Thaddeus says, his tone clipped as he nods in greeting.

Caius smiles, not troubled in the least by the surly man's disposition. "General. Please, do sit."

Thaddeus doesn't move. He stands as still as a statue, and only his head turns until his eyes are boring into mine. "Healer."

I swallow, feeling nauseous all of a sudden. Not much scares me, but Lochlan's parents do know how to make a girl sweat. "Sir."

Lastly, he regards Lochlan. He speaks to Caius without turning to look back. "Why did you summon me?"

Caius simply keeps smiling. "Your son here has some questions, General, and I must say that it displeases me how you regard young Cora here. Are you not satisfied with the child you sent me to create?"
    Canadianmummy

Post  Canadianmummy Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:22 pm

I lean in and look to my father who is suddenly here, "Father, please tell this warlock how wrong he is and is mistaken..." I look into my fathers eyes and see no sign of disagree, he simply looks back at me silent.

I sit back, starting to get pissed off "Why the hell am I here? I am protecting someone that you helped create...I told you she was different and you said it wasn't anything. You just lied over and over? You could have told me the truth, I wouldn't care."

Father looks at me, "It is a bit more complicated Lochlan, we needed you here..you were the best for the job. Mostly because you can't resist a pretty girl and I knew you would stop at nothing to keep her safe."
    PuppyWithATutu
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:33 am

Can't resist a pretty girl? First, Thaddeus is capable of a sly compliment from time to time? Also, what about the prophecy? Wouldn't they send literally anyone else to watch over me? Lochlan and I are quite literally destined to have some demigod healer child. None of this makes sense.

I consider what the warlock told me. He'd given me many powers and capabilities that he hadn't been told to. He'd simply been sent to divert a prophecy, to give me just enough mojo to keep the Dark gods away. He'd said it, himself. He'd gone overboard. Did his parents know just how much? They couldn't. They'd likely kill me if they knew. One glance at Caius, who knows just what's running through my mind, confirms it. The warning in his eyes is enough not to bring it up.

I turn to Thaddeus and clasp my hands together on the tabletop, my food abandoned. "Sir, you know the prophecies. Why send Lochlan, of all people, if we're destined to have some powerful child together?"

When he looks back at me, I'm surprised to find that the hatred has been dialed down. I'm not sure if Caius' words earlier struck a chord with him, or maybe all his disdain for me just got a little too tiring. Whatever it is, I'll take it. "It was his mother's idea," Thaddeus says, his eyes locking onto mine. "Our son is set to be the next General in the event of my death. It would be the ultimate test of willpower. That, and we could always eliminate the threat, should Lochlan slip up." Eliminate the threat. I look at Ryan, and there's war in his eyes. I shake my head. He can't reveal himself, and I can't fight Thaddeus in the middle of a Chinese restaurant in New York. I fucking want to, though.

Thaddeus isn't finished. He's turned to Lochlan, fire in his eyes, his brow quirked in question. "There hasn't been a slip-up, has there, Son?"

I just know Lochlan is angry enough to spout out something like that. My grip on his thigh tightens. I'm about to speak instead when Caius pipes up.

"Now, General, I do think we can all be civilized without making threats against my creation and her unborn child. No need to be testy." His gaze travels back and forth from me to Lochlan and back again. "I trust we've gotten enough answers for today?"

I nod. I have. I want General Grumps gone. Lochlan's still stewing in his anger. Satisfied, Caius regards Thaddeus with a grin. "A pleasure, as always, General. Give my regards to your wife." With a snap of the warlock's fingers, Thaddeus is gone.

Ryan is back in his worldly form, rage in his eyes. I can tell he wants to get up and fight the man, but he's no longer on this dimension. He settles back with a huff and runs a hand over his hair in frustration. "What a fucking asshole."

I nod again. "That about does it."
    Canadianmummy

Post  Canadianmummy Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:39 am

I sit there calmly, looking at my father's empty seat. I laugh when they call him an asshole, "Of course he's an asshole, you don't win wars any other way." I still seem to defend my father.

The warlock looks to me, "Your loyalty to your parents is quite moving, I can respect that." I look back, "It doesn't make sense, they are lying even more or one is lying over the other....,snap your fingers and bring my mother here next."

I look at Cora, "I need to go back and talk more about this...something doesn't sit right. Stay with your father until I come return. Maybe baby daddy here will also provide some protection...?"
    PuppyWithATutu
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:07 am

Caius has apprehension in his eyes. For once, he seems to want to tread carefully. Lochlan's pissed enough.

"My Liege, I respectfully request that you allow yourself to simmer down for a spell. You were quite close to answering your father a moment ago. He mustn't know how close the two of you have gotten."

"He's right," I add, looking over at Lochlan. "Cool off first. Let's head home and relax."

"And as for protection, I cannot quite selectively cloak someone, but I can repair your shield. It's taken a bit of damage." Caius extends his hand across the table, and without hesitation, I take it. Long, slender fingers wrap around mine, and when he focuses his energy and sends it forth, I'm filled with such warmth that I can't help but be calm. After a moment, he's finished. "I must beseech you to use your powers sparingly. With your abilities, it won't take much to weaken the shield again."

I nod, then offer him what I hope passes for a smile. "No going crazy. I'll do my best."

His grin is back and brighter than ever. "Today has been such a gift, dear Cora. Thank you for giving me a moment of your time." With a bow of his head toward Lochlan, and then Ryan, he, too, disappears. Now it's the three of us.

I rest a hand on Lochlan's shoulder and slide out of the booth. "Babe, let's go."

Ryan has stood as well; his wallet is out and he's rifling through bills. He pulls out a fifty and places it on the table. I snort. "They said it was free."

My brother rolls his eyes. "That's because he was controlling them. You two go ahead; teleport to the apartment or whatever it is you do. Try not to get pregnant with a demigod baby while you're at it."

So sassy. "Our baby would be hella cute though, right?"

He doesn't answer my question. He puts his wallet back into his pocket and walks past me toward the exit. "Shit was easier in Iraq," he mutters under his breath, and then he's gone.
    Canadianmummy

Post  Canadianmummy Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:22 am

I look at this whole situation and I look at Cora, slightly a little offended. "Now, this warlock makes his presence known and until then, it was the Gods protecting you or at least..I think they were. Who really knows and I am not some hot headed idiot, my parents are playing me. I am not going to be the General, I am with you..so that life is gone now, what else do I really have to lose telling them the truth? Well...they could hunt you down, so we are fucked."

I walk off and we head back to the apartment, as we walk in and I am suddenly spun around and pinned to the wall. Cora smirks as she holds me there, "You just proved I have no will power..." and while she smiles, I kiss her.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 5:25 am