The Vampire Diaries

A forum set up for discussion on the hit CW show The Vampire Diaries.

Mailbox Meeting:

Sharon Salvatore

Re: Mailbox Meeting:

Post  Sharon Salvatore on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:13 am

It had been a few weeks, Cassie tried to not think about him. She had her own life frankly and he was so mysterious but that smile, it was innocent.

She found herself staring at the chalk board, "Okay...whose kidnapped you? Cas?" She heard John say, She looks at him,"Hmm..?What?"

"A movie..Saturday, let's do it." John asks, she then shook her head, "I actually can't..,I mean, you can show up at the theatre and I'll get your popcorn." She says, with her best enthusiastic smile. John does smile though,"You got the job? That's great...hook me up with free stuff."

"Apparently, I get a lot of posters..." Cassie says, John nods in approval,"Like I said, anything free..is good to me."

Cassie laughs, they leave the classroom as the bell rings. John looks at her,"You're thinking about someone though.., what's the dude's name?"

"It's not like that..,it's this guy I met at Alex's place. He was so mysterious. I actually know him...but I just can't stop thinking about him."

John looks at her,slightly jealous but hides it,"I never see you like this over a guy..."

"I think he needs help..." She looks at John,"My Dad does too, I told him he's not in school here but I haven't seen him, anyways, you have no idea what I am talking about but I have to get going. I'll see you later okay?"

She gives him a hug and leaves the school, driving to Alex's and gets out. She goes over to check the mail, her friend yet again skipped school today. Taking care of her was a bit tedious but end of the day, she would do anything for Cassie.

She takes out the mail and glances, there he was. Of all days. "Hi..."
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:23 am

Greg held my arm over a burner last night. I don't know why. I guess he felt like it. Maybe I looked at him wrong. For whatever reason, I'm glad I own a long sleeved shirt. It hurts like a bitch every time the fabric touches the burn. It oozes, and it's nasty looking, and Cassie is here with those soul-searching eyes. I tuck the mail under my good arm and give her a nod.

"School okay today?" I ask. It's the worst possible question, I know, but it's been weeks. I shouldn't even try talking to her. She asks too many questions, and I don't have enough lies in me to keep her at bay, and it's just better if she moves on to someone halfway normal. It's a polite question, I tell myself. Then I'll go.
    Sharon Salvatore

Post  Sharon Salvatore on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:25 am

Cassie shrugs,"It was okay...I haven't seen you in awhile, how are you?" She looks to his feet, still no shoes. She looks back to him.
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:36 am

Busted. I haven't worn the shoes her father gave me. I'd like to say it's pride that keeps me from doing it, but it's not. Greg can't see them. If he does, he'll know I've been talking to someone. The night Cassie dropped me off at my house, I'd taken the bag, along with the shoes and the paper with her number written down, and stuffed it all behind the bush outside our living room window. I'd come back later and covered it up with some saran wrap I'd swiped from the kitchen to protect the bag from the elements. If I'd planned on her seeing me today, I'd have worn them.

Too late now.

I look down at my feet and sigh in defeat. "Cassie..."

What am I doing, pushing away the only good thing in my life right now? But she deserves a guy who doesn't lie to her at every turn. She deserves a guy who can take her out, someone who's always there to be a friend, and I'm neither of those things. I can't be.

I still can't look her in the eye. I let my gaze roam the patch of grass beneath my feet. "Cassie, in all honesty, now... I'm not the guy you want to be friends with. I'm no good. And all you did for me, I'll appreciate it more than you'll ever know, but this can't work. Me and you. Friends. You're too good, and you don't deserve for me to drag you down. I won't let that happen."

I look up. Her hazel eyes are wide. Shit, I don't know how to handle an emotional girl. She can't be that broken up over me. I'm no one.

"So I think we can be polite and say hey at the mailbox, but in life, everywhere else, it's better you not know me. I've got too much on my plate. And I guess if you call me a liar now, I'm okay with that. But I'm not okay with who I am, and who you are deserves more."

I run a hand through my hair, back to starting at the ground again. I take in a deep breath. "So I guess that's all."
    Sharon Salvatore

Post  Sharon Salvatore on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:41 am

Cassie looks at him, feeling hurt. She couldn't explain why. With not a word more to him, she walked around and into Alexis apartment. She went into the washroom and shut the door, tears slightly appearing.

This was silly, why was she being so emotional over this boy? Alexis knocked and Cassie came out, "What happened...was he mean to you? I saw you talking outside my bedroom window."

"No, I guess I was pushy...it's none of my business. I couldn't stop thinking about him, just one of those people.." She says, Alexis looks at her,"I think he really likes you, he told me your beautiful..."

"Yeah, well he only wants to say Hi at the mailbox. By the way,here you go." Cassie said,defeated and sat on the couch, the mail in her hand landing on the cushion next to her.
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:34 pm

I'd gladly take the crap Greg doles out on me five times over than feel what I'm feeling now. That is, a feeling of guilt so deep that I'm consumed by it. Every time I close my eyes, I see the wounded look Cassie gave me yesterday. Her eyes brimming with tears, she'd bolted and run inside, and I'd stood at the mailbox, my heart heavy. I wanted to say so much more, but I couldn't. It's probably best that she hates me.

Still, on today's mail run, I'm half hoping she'll be there and half hoping she won't. I want her to be okay. I don't want to be the jerk that hurt her feelings, but I'm aware that's all I'll likely ever be. The recluse who couldn't be bothered when all she'd done was be nice to me.

I've not even grabbed the mail when I see her friend barreling towards me, eyes narrowed. If she were a cartoon character, there'd be steam shooting from her ears. I still don't know her name.

"You're a dick," she seethes.

I fidget, unwilling to meet her glare. "I know."

"That's it?" she demands, stepping closer, arms folded across her chest, the living embodiment of the saying Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

I bite my lip. "I wish there was more I could say. I didn't want to hurt her. Honestly."

"Yeah?" she bites. "Honestly? Funny, coming from a guy who lied to her when all she wanted was to help. To be your friend. Tell me something, Twiggy, you think you're the only one with issues?"

My temper dares to flare up, but I don't let it. I think of something Dad always used to tell me: When dealing with women, son, handle with care.

"No," I answer, my voice firmer this time. "I don't."

She huffs. She'd be beautiful if she wasn't so angry all the time. Not as much as Cassie, but still. "Well, then you'd better be one big fucking masochist, then. Pushing her away? You think you're helping yourself one bit? You practically admitted you have the hots for her, and suddenly you're the sad, protagonist martyr who thinks he's too miserable for company."

I open my mouth to speak, but she's on a roll. She lifts a hand to stop me, and I freeze. "Don't fucking talk. Save it for her, not for me. God, boys are dumbasses. And people wonder why I bat for my own team."

My mouth snaps closed. I'm not sure what to say to that. I'm afraid to try. She chooses then to walk away, while I'm stuck in a speechless stupor, and I watch as she sashays back to her apartment, her anger radiating off of her in waves.

But I have one nagging question, one that's been eating away at me since yesterday, and though I fear I already know its answer, I ask nonetheless.

"Is she... is she okay?"

She spins around and puts her hands on her hips. If looks could kill, I'd be a goner. "What the fuck do you think?"

And there is my answer.
    Sharon Salvatore

Post  Sharon Salvatore on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:26 pm

Cassie quickly got over Tate, she had nothing to get over is what she reminded herself. He wanted to be mysterious and not want her help, that was fine with her. It had been another week till she saw him again, she got out of her car.

She made point to look cute, her mom always advised this. You want to get back at a man, you show him what he's missing. She chose to put on some skinny jeans, a cute sweater and cream coloured leather jacket.

It felt, not her style but it was worth it. She saw his face as she walks to the mailbox, getting out Alexis's mail. She was just crossing the street, when a car zoomed by, the next moment, Cassie found herself drenched in pepsi.

Julie's face looked out from the car, "Stop trying to dress like that...you're dork, always will be a dork." She laughed, as did her evil minions. The car drove off and Cassie wipes her face with her hand.
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:35 pm

I'd vowed to myself to not say anything, to not utter a word although my heart was screaming apologies, when I saw a car pull up and slow down in front of her. Maybe it was that friend of hers, John. And why did I feel a jolt of jealousy at that thought?

But while I waited for some friend, or her knight in shining armor to hop out and offer her a smile, I instead watched on as whoever was in the car doused her in something and drove off, laughing.

That burst of undeserved jealousy soon turned into a rage I couldn't describe, and with that, my resolve had shattered.

Before I can even think of what I'll do, I race towards her. Her bag is on the ground, its contents spewed across the pavement, and I think of how we first met. She looks up at me, her cheeks pink, her hair down instead of in the usual ponytail, and though she oozes sadness, I've still never seen anyone so pretty.

I kneel beside her, watching as her trembling hands struggle to gather up her things, and before I know it, my hand is on hers, and I'm giving it the gentlest squeeze I can.

She snatches it away, as if I'm five times worse than the assholes who did this to her, and my heart plummets.

Still, I can't turn away. I reach for a textbook lying in a nearby patch of grass. Chemistry. Ironic.

"Please," I murmur, my eyes boring into hers, almost begging to be her company, if only for a short while. "Let me help."
    Sharon Salvatore

Post  Sharon Salvatore on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Cassie looks at him, with all her stuff and says "I am not a charity case, leave me alone." With not another word, she gets in her car and leaves. Not in the mood to see Alexis, who would just drive right after those people, for what they did.

She walked into her own house, passing her parents who say hey. She says nothing back, goes upstairs and shuts her door. Her bed looked so inviting, as she crawls on to it and lays down, tears streaming down her face. How stupid she felt,wasting tears on those people.
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:50 pm

There's a tube of lip balm not far from my feet. We missed it. And she'd run off without caring to inspect a thing to see what she'd abandoned. My shoulders slump. I bend to pick it up, almost hitting my head on the mailbox, when something purple catches my eye. It's lying in the ditch nearby, and when I retrieve it, I find it's a leather bound notebook. It's small, covered in little writings and scribbles, and the pages are a bit worn. It's her journal.

I'd be the biggest jerk if I read it, though, and the last infraction I need against me is having read her innermost secrets, so I don't dare leaf through it. If I flipped it open to the latest entrance, would there be some mention of me?

Selfish, Tate
    , I reprimand myself. I straighten up, carefully tuck the balm into the pocket of my jeans, and tuck the journal under my arm. I could stay here, not risk a thing, and return them the next time I see her, or I could man up and do what I wanted so badly to do in the first place. I'll return them to her, and I'll apologize, and I'll hope like hell that she'll accept it.

I do a little mental math in my head, figuring I have a good two hours before Greg returns with Eva and Chloe, and sigh. I won't make it back in time. I hardly care. Before I go, though, I make my way back to my secret bush and dig out the bag of shoes. They're a worn pair of Nikes, scuffed from use, and they're perfect all the same. Almost immediately after putting them on, my feet relax into the plush insides of their new home. I'll thank Mr. Rodgers, too, if he lets me.

Taking a deep breath, I gather up whatever courage I have left and begin the long walk towards Cassie's home.
    Sharon Salvatore

Post  Sharon Salvatore on Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:06 am

Cassie made her way downstairs, her parents were getting dinner ready. She had her pajama pants on and a cute t-shirt. Her mother was telling her stories about her husband, Cassie found herself cheering up, her parents always knew what to do.

Mr.Rodgers was sitting in his office, working on a case. He heard the door bell and got up, opening the door and saw Tate, "Why do I have the impression...all this crying my daughter seems to be doing, has to do with you?"
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu on Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:20 am

I force myself not to look away and stand my ground. My weight shifts from one foot to the other beneath the weight of his gaze. "I have a feeling it does," I admit quietly, holding on tighter to the journal in my hands.

"Sir, I never meant to hurt her. If she doesn't want to see me, I more than understand."

Except, I'd kill to see her. Just to check up. I'm not sure if she's more broken up about the bullies or me, but I have a feeling she's used to the first. I'm the one she only wanted to help. That always hurts worse, doesn't it?

Resisting the urge to look past his shoulder to seek her out, I hold out the journal. My palms are so sweaty, the leather is slick. I wipe my free hand on my jeans.

"She, uh, she dropped this today." I fumble inside my pants pocket and grab hold of the lip balm. Strawberry. I find myself, for a fleeting moment, wondering how it would taste on her lips. I quickly push the thought away. "And this. I wanted to return them. I mean, I need to know if she's okay." If he doesn't know what happened today, I don't want to tip him off. It's Cassie's story to tell, not mine. I'd rather him blame me for every tear she's shed rather than interfere any more than I've done already.
    Sharon Salvatore

Post  Sharon Salvatore on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:25 am

Cassie's dad eyed the young man, until he heard his daughter behind him. "It's fine Dad..." He looks at her and then back to the kid, giving him a stern look and walks off to go set up for dinner. Cassie looks at Tate, "You can come in...I'm not rude and keep people standing outside."

Tate moved inside and she shut the door, she took back what he brought her and looks at him.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:54 pm