The Vampire Diaries

A forum set up for discussion on the hit CW show The Vampire Diaries.

Mailbox Meeting:

PuppyWithATutu

Re: Mailbox Meeting:

Post  PuppyWithATutu on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:33 am

My eyes dart between the two of them. I knew I shouldn't have come. I've always been a terrible liar, too. I should probably make a run for it. But she doesn't live too close. It would take me a while before I'd even reach my house. And, again, I have a feeling she'd feel snubbed if I did. I guess Cassie's hopeful smiles and engaging eyes are what keep me glued to the seat as I am now.

I shrug. "I, uh, live with my mom. And step-dad. They have, uh, two kids." I hesitate. "There's no story to tell, really."
    Sharon Salvatore

Post  Sharon Salvatore on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:36 am

Cassie just drinks her pop and listens, Alexis wanted more information. "What were you doing walking in the rain...?"

"Alexis...it's not our business." Cassie says, Alexis waves her aside "I am just curious...I mean, you don't have any shoes."
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:46 am

I glance down at my socked feet. I can tell her I grew out of my old ones. I haven't gotten a chance to get any yet. Then she'll probably view me as an even bigger charity case, drop me by the mall and I'll have to stand there and say something like, "I forgot my money". Yeah. Not pathetic at all.

Before I can even respond, I hear a deep voice coming up from behind her. "Who's this?"

I spin around to find a man in a tuxedo, his hair dark and closely clipped, his face cleanly shaven. He looks important. He's also undoubtedly Cassie's father.

I spring to my feet and extend my hand, cursing myself for coming into this house wearing holey jeans and a baggy black shirt. And now I'm supposed to speak to her father, who's cleaner cut than most, and make him see me as someone with good intentions.

"Tate, sir," I offer. "Tate Anderson." He returns the handshake, but his gaze is skeptical. I don't blame him. I look like I'm some homeless guy his daughter dragged home. He'll probably check everything in his house the moment I'm gone to make sure nothing's been stolen.

I glance back at Cassie before returning my attention to her father. "I'm sorry this was unexpected," I continue hastily. "Your daughter was just helping me out."
    Sharon Salvatore

Post  Sharon Salvatore on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:50 am

The man looked at the kid in front of him, he glances to Cassie and asks to speak with her upstairs. Alexis looks at the man, "Looking good in that tux sir.."

He glances back at Alexis and finally goes upstairs, "I'm sorry Dad...I know I should have asked you but he was walking in the rain, no jacket or shoes..."

Her Dad looks back, "No shoes?" Cassie shook her head, "He went to my elementary school..."

"I believe you baby girl, I just...can't believe, no shoes? Did he calls his parents?" He asks her.

Meanwhile,

Alexis watches Tate, "Cassie's a cute girl...huh?" eating some popcorn.
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:57 am

I swallow. The popcorn scent is enough to kill me. No one's offered, though, so I won't. Nothing here is mine for the taking, and I won't act as if it is. I do, however, wish I had something to stuff into my mouth in that moment, because instead of quietly agreeing, my filter drops to zilch and I find myself saying, "she's beautiful."

I don't know where it came from, or just why it sounded so vehement and determined oozing from my lips, but I mean it. I hear Alexis suck in a breath beside me, and I feel like a creep. Back to biting my lip, I awkwardly glance away and look on toward the TV.
    Sharon Salvatore

Post  Sharon Salvatore on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:59 am

Cassie comes back down and takes a seat, "My Dad is getting pizza, apparently my mom has to work late." Alexis looks at her,"That's good though...she wanted to sell more houses right?"

"Yeah, she's just never off her blackberry. We think it's glued to her hand, do you not like popcorn?" She adds, looking at Tate.
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:05 am

I look up at Cassie, startled, and then back down at the popcorn. My stomach is practically growling. I reach in and grab a handful. "Yes," I answer quietly. "I do."

As if to show her, I pop the handful into my mouth and chew. This is amazing. Now I want the whole thing. And whatever pizza her father is bringing back.

Now I'm sure I've worn out my welcome. I swallow, my eyes on Cassie. "Are you sure your father's okay with me here?" I ask doubtfully. I should get home soon. Then again, a beating is a beating, no matter how late it is. Maybe I should take advantage of this. The warm house, the soft couch cushions, the flavored popcorn. Cassie's smile.
    Sharon Salvatore

Post  Sharon Salvatore on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:08 am

Alexis shakes her head,"Cassie's dad is super cool, so laid back..." Cassie glares a bit,"Thanks..for that introduction, I told him I know you from elementary school. It's really okay..." Alexis excuses herself again, going upstairs.

Cassie looks at Tate, "Are we boring you? Alexis is more fun, I just..been so long since I have seen you, it's nice to see how you're doing."
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:12 am

I do a little mental math. She should still be in school. Hell, I should, too, but I haven't been since I was thirteen. That's when Greg pulled me out.

"I'm doing fine," I tell her, scooting closer to the edge of the couch to allow her room. Taking the cue, she sits next to me and offers me another smile.

"And you?" I ask. I want to know everything about her now. Time with her is a drug to me. It's bad, and it'll go nowhere, but I can't help loving the high it gives me. "How is, uh... school?"
    Sharon Salvatore

Post  Sharon Salvatore on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:17 am

Cassie looks at him,"It's okay..could do without some of the people who go there but it's fine. School is school, can't wait to graduate."

Her Dad then comes back, seeing his daughter alone with this kid. He may feel sorry for the boy but he's not stupid, "Foods here kids, let's go on up..."

They do so and Alexis was flirting with the pizza boy, she shuts the door finally. Cassie looks at her,"Work up an appetite?"

Alexis smirks, "Not all of us are...beautiful" she says,looking from Tate and then to me. Before I can say a thing, we are ushered into the kitchen. Pizza box opened,"Where is the paper plates Cassie? I am not doing dishes..." Her Dad says, desperately.

Cassie laughs and gets them, they all sit and helps themselves. Her Dad looks at Tate,"Go ahead...or, I will have to have you earn it. Some trivia, then you get the pizza."

"Dad...stop," Cassie begs, embarrassed. Her Dad smirks to Tate, "Tell us something about yourself Tate..., Cas says you went to River? I don't think I remember you, what's your parents names?"
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:23 am

"Uh, Janice and Marshall Anderson," I answer, my stomach appeased from the taste of popcorn but still calling out to the pizza at the center of the table. I feel as if I should say more. It won't hurt.

"My father was the chief of police," I offer up. It was big in the news when it happened, but I have no clue if they know it now. I don't want any pity stares. I'm just trying to be honest to the man before me. I want him to like me. Crazy, because I know all I'll ever do is lie, but sometimes the truth doesn't hurt. And it hasn't, yet.
    Sharon Salvatore

Post  Sharon Salvatore on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:28 am

Cassie listens interested but no idea who Tate was talking about, her Father however finally spoke. "Anderson...rings a bell actually, happened a few years ago." He thinks about it and then realizes, he looks at Tate, "I'm a lawyer, so I did meet your Father...very briefly with a case I was working on. I am very sorry for your loss..."

Cassie chimes in,"Me too..."she plays with a pepperoni, taking it off and pausing to eat it. Her eyes full of sadness looking at the kid, Alexis just eats her pizza. She looks at them all, "Yeah...also sorry."

Her Father looks at Tate still, observing. No shoes, something was striking him as odd. "I hope your Mother isn't worried about you..., you called her yes?"
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:36 am

I nod. I hate lying to him. His eyes, like his daughter's, are commanding, reminiscent of the looks my father would give me. If he looks long enough, I'm sure he'll see into my soul. "Yes, sir," I answer. "She, um, she must have still been out when I called. I guess she forgot to leave the door unlocked when I left."

I fidget with my hands on the tabletop. I can feel Cassie's eyes on me. Mr. Rodgers clears his throat, and I wait for the next question. If I have to smell this pizza for too much longer, I'll bolt.
    Sharon Salvatore

Post  Sharon Salvatore on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:38 am

Her father watches him still, "I wish Cassie told me...the toppings you like on your pizza, please. The least I can do is send you back to your Mother fed."

PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:40 am

I shake my head. "Please, this is fine. I'm not picky." I eye the open pizza box, and Cassie hands me a plate. I pull off a piece of the pie and set it down again. I give her father a small smile. "I appreciate this, sir."
    Sharon Salvatore

Post  Sharon Salvatore on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:45 am

Cassie smiles at her Dad, who strokes his daughters cheek "Thank Cassie here, she was persistent. It is no trouble."

"Such a strong Father, aren't you? I really respect you Mr.Rodgers and you don't wear ugly sweater vests." Alexis says, drinking her water. She eyes him, the man adjusts his tie and watches Tate some more, how he's eating this pizza.

It reminds him briefly, of a little girl who was in a case he had couple years ago. How he offered her a donut and she treated it like gold, then stuffed it in her face. The girl was abused for years. He watches the kid, "Where is it you live...?"

"In Alexis's building..." Cassie informs him, her Dad nods. "Well...you kids finish up, I will be back." He gets up and leaves the kitchen. Cassie looks at Tate, "Sorry...Dad being a lawyer and all, usually makes him ask a lot of questions."
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:57 am

I give her a reassuring smile. "I'd be asking questions, too, to be honest."

I polish off slice number two of pizza, feeling more than stuffed, and take a drink of the water she set before me. The time on the microwave reads a quarter after seven. Greg will be home by now. Time has passed more quickly than I'd first guessed.

"Uh, Cassie, I'm more than grateful," I add sheepishly, "but I should be back soon."

I catch the beginnings of a frown marring her mouth, and I quickly try to save grace. "Not that I didn't enjoy your company. I do. I think you're... I mean, you're really nice. And your dad. And your friend, well..." I don't know how to finish that statement. Not truthfully, anyway. Cassie laughs.

"It's just that I've got a lot of things I need to do. And I don't want to step on anyone's toes here. Really, I can walk back. I've troubled you enough."
    Sharon Salvatore

Post  Sharon Salvatore on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:04 am

Cassie stands up, "I can drive you back. Alexis, you want to stay or come with?" Alexis looks up from her cell phone, she has been texting this whole time on it. "I'll stay..." she looks at Tate and gives a smile.

"Dad, I am driving Tate back home..." Cassie calls out, her Dad reappears and shakes Tate's hand. "It was great meeting you Tate..." he feels how weak the kid is, looking at his feet. "You know..., give me a second."

He comes back and hands him a pair of shoes, "I assume you just need a new pair...,these are old. You look about the same size as me, take them." Offering in a bag.

Tate, has them forced into his arms and they make their way to Cassie's car. They get in and she drives off, "Do you...miss not being in school?"
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:08 am

I hold onto the shoes, wondering how I'm going to hide them from Greg. I can't be caught with them, or he'll know I've been talking to people. Or he'll assume I stole them.

"I miss school," I reply, nodding. "I miss it a lot, really. I was good at it. I knew a lot of people."

Turning back to her, I decide to take advantage of the moment and turn it back around on her. "Why do you not like school? It seems like you'd have lots of friends."
    Sharon Salvatore

Post  Sharon Salvatore on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:12 am

Cassie shrugs, "Not really. I keep to myself a lot, most of the people in this town...they are so old fashioned and only care about things that don't matter to anyone else in the world. I have Alexis and my friend John, it's just frustrating...but I won't bore you with that. I guess your Mom has trouble letting you go...because of your Dad, that's understandable."

As she keeps driving, a song comes on and she turns it up slightly. "Sorry but I love this song.."
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:20 am

I wish her explanation were that simple, but I don't move to correct her. When the music fills the car, both of us go silent. The song has a nice sound. She bobs her head to the beat, her manicured nails tapping against the steering wheel. I watch her, fascinated. She's so unperturbed, so blissful. I can't remember having that kind of contentment.

When she nears my house, I panic. I reach across and turn down the music, and her eyes go wide. I give her an apologetic smile.

"This is going to sound weird, but can you stop here?" I ask her. "I don't want to be bombarded with questions. Not that I'd be embarrassed by you. It's the opposite. I just... it's difficult."

Okay, I'm rambling, but I need her to understand. Every part of me aches to grab hold of her hand and feel her warmth, to give her a reassuring squeeze. To let her know I like her, but that this will never work. If she drops me now, there will be no heartache. I should probably push her away now, any day soon, but then the little lines between her brows pinches and her lips pull to the side in that cute way I've already grown used to, and I know I'm already doomed. I know that I'm selfish, and I'll take what I can get. Greg is never home 24/7, and I figure that from now on, I won't be, either.
    Sharon Salvatore

Post  Sharon Salvatore on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:24 am

Cassie pulls over and looks at him, "You really are not a good liar, we can both...ignore the obvious facts. Do you need help? I figure just asking you, right now. It would save us a lot of time...,I can tell, just from this short time...you're a nice guy. Please, if their is anything I can do for you..."

She was being so honest, it felt easy talking to this guy. She didn't understand how but she wasn't stupid, or naive. Something didn't seem right and she couldn't let him leave, without knowing.
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:31 am

God, this is bad. My fist clenches at my side, but I will my gaze to never stray from hers. I crack a smile. "Cassie, I assure you these circumstances, they're not normal for me." God, it hurts to lie to those eyes. But once upon a time, my circumstances weren't normal. Once upon a time, I wouldn't have dreamed of the life I'm living in now. Nonetheless, I continue.

"The shoes, I grew out of them. My mom is... sick, and Greg works all the time. I have to take care of her. I rarely leave the house, to be honest, so I figure wasting money on shoes is a little dumb. I don't have a car, and I was visiting the cemetery and I rarely even do that, and I was caught in the rain. It was really a wrong place, wrong time kind of thing."

I reach across the console, my heart beating a mile a minute, and grab hold of her hand. "Cassie, please don't treat me like a charity case. I'm not. I'm fine. I promise."
    Sharon Salvatore

Post  Sharon Salvatore on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:33 am

Cassie just looks at home, "I'll pretend to believe all that...,here" she grabs a paper from her glove box. It had a pen as well, she jots her phone number on it and hands it over to him. "Just...if you ever need anything, even just a friend..."
    PuppyWithATutu

Post  PuppyWithATutu on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:56 am

I want to plead my case further, but that'll only take back all my efforts from the beginning. My father always said that liars are the most adamant about their innocence.

I accept the paper with a nod, curl it in my hand, and reach to open the door. "Thank you, Cassie," I smile. "You're a good person."

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:27 pm